Monday, May 25, 2015

A Perfect Memorial Day

The last time Chuck and I had been to Monterey was in January of 2007 when we came out with my mom and Tafanie for the dedication ceremony of one of the rooms at the Center for Defense and Homeland Security at the Naval Postgraduate School to my dad, Lacy Suiter.  It was a bittersweet memory of that visit in that we missed my dad but we were so glad to have met the awesome people he was privileged to work with as well as visit the Monterey area with my mom.

These same awesome people, like David O'Keeffe and Heather Issvoran, have remained in contact with my mom over the years and she suggested that I get in contact with them while we were out here  if we wanted to go by and visit the Center again and the room dedicated to my dad.  I contacted David and he contacted Heather and she immediately responded and asked what day would work best for us.  She took time out from her holiday and met us at the Center on Memorial Day around 10 am.


Heather took us to the "command post" room dedicated to my dad and gave us a little information about the Center and its programs.


She told us that they have had over 1,000 graduates from their masters program on Homeland Security.  Amazing!  My dad would be so proud!

After we left the Naval Postgraduate School, we went over to Fisherman's Wharf in Monterey and walked around sampling the clam chowder and looking in the shops.



At Fisherman's Wharf, we also went by the Customs House which was where on July 7, 1846, U.S. Marines and Sailors landed and claimed 600,000 square miles of land for the United States which signaled the passing of California from Mexican to American rule.


At Heather's recommendation, we decided to check out Rosine's for lunch which was located just a few blocks from Fisherman's Wharf.  On the walk to Rosine's, we passed by the old Monterey Golden State Theatre which still has events there.


Rosine's is a little Italian restaurant that has been featured on Diners, Dives and Drive-ins.


Bonnie and I split their lasagna which was some of the best lasagna I have ever had at a restaurant and the guys had delicious field green chicken cranberry salads.  When we first entered the restaurant, we walked by the display case of their huge cakes and desserts, another item Heather recommended.


After finishing our lunch, we splurged and split the biggest piece of cake I have ever seen.  It was so big that the four of us together couldn't even finish it!  What a great lunch!

Banana Nut Cake -- yummy and moist!
After lunch, we walked back to the car and saw the most unusual tour bus.


We spoke with the driver and he told us it carries 28 passengers and has 28 beds.  They stay at campgrounds and it even has a slide-out kitchen area.  I think that would be a little too tight of sleeping quarters for me!  :)


On the way home, the guys dropped Bonnie and me off at Kohls to do a little shopping while they went to Wal-mart to pick up some groceries.  We left Kohls at 3:30 thinking it would only take us about an hour to get back but the traffic was terrible and it took nearly 2 hours.

But it didn't matter because we have had a great time in Monterey and we're so thankful to have shared these special days with special friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment