Friday, September 16, 2016

Arkansas...Here We Come

We left Nashville on Monday morning and stopped over in Tunica for a couple of nights before heading on to Benton, Arkansas, to visit our friends, Warren and Joslyn.


Warren and Joslyn invited us to their house for dinner Wednesday night.  It was so good to get to see them again and we enjoyed a delicious dinner of homemade tacos.  Yummy!

On Thursday, we played golf at one of Warren's favorite golf courses in Hot Springs Village.  It was very hot but we were having a fun time together.  Unfortunately, it started raining after the first 9 holes so we had to call it quits.  Probably was just as well because we were all pretty hot and getting pretty hungry.  We had pizza at Molly O'Brien's which was near the golf course.  When we eat pizza with Warren and Joslyn it really works out great.  Warren and I prefer pepperoni pizza and Chuck and Joslyn like pizza with everything on it.  The extra treat was on Thurday nights they have free dessert:  a cone of soft serve ice cream!  Sweet!

Today, Warren and Joslyn came and picked us up and we rode to the booming metropolis of Keo, Arkansas.  Population:  256.


In the big city of Keo, is a restaurant called Cotham's located in what used to be an old country store built in 1912 called Cotham's Mercantile.


Based upon the appearance of the building, I began to wonder if it was safe to enter.  :)



But the parking lot was full of customers so I figured it must be pretty safe.  :)  When we walked in the restaurant, it looked just about as old on the inside as it did on the outside.



We ordered what Cotham's is known for:  their Hubcap Hamburger.  All I can say is it was a good thing Chuck and I split the burger because it was the biggest hamburger I've ever seen.


It was delicious and the first time I ever needed to eat my hamburger with a fork!


Boy, was it good!  After lunch, we rode further into the countryside...




...and were able to see where they were harvesting the rice fields.



This area of Arkansas was where his parents and grandparents had lived.  Warren told us that his grandmother's name was Sallie T. Burleson.  Guess what the T stood for:  Tennessee.  Isn't that cool?  Sallie Tennessee Burleson.

We went to another small restaurant with the intention of trying some of their pies for dessert but  most of their pies were gone.  So, guess where we went?  Back to Cotham's for some cobbler and Mississippi Mud cake.  Joslyn suggested that she and I split the Mississippi Mud Cake.  All I can say is it was a good thing we split!


We were in chocolate heaven!


It took awhile, but we worked our way through the "mud."  :)


Joslyn, finally through in the towel.  But not me!


I even threatened to lick the plate!


Okay, now I am as full as a tick.  I don't think I'll eat anything the rest of the day.  But, it sure was good!  :)


1 comment:

  1. Wow, I think we have to come to Arkansas to try out some of that yummy looking food! That desert and hamburger looked incredible. Have a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete