Sunday, August 9, 2015

On to Mackinaw City

We took our time getting ready to leave this morning because our drive from Brimley to Mackinaw City would only take about 1.5 hours.  I did all of our laundry at the campground laundry (rather than our Splendide) because it was only $1.25/load and I could get it all done within a couple of hours as opposed to all day with the Splendide.  If I do a load every day, I can stay caught up using our Splendide.  But once I get behind, it takes all day and night to get caught up.

We were on the road by 11:30 and began heading south on I-75.  Sault Ste. Marie is the northernmost point of I-75.  Hey, if we stayed on I-75 south, we're only 1,760 miles from Miami!


I think we'll stay up here awhile.  We like these 70 degree days a lot better than 90+ degree days!

Within an hour of traveling south on I-75, we reached the Mackinac Bridge.  At 5 miles long, the Mackinaw Bridge is the 5th longest suspension bridge in the world.


Although the bridge is designed to accommodate high winds, it had to be shut down for a short period of time last week because a "freak" gust of wind blew over an RV while driving on the bridge last week.

Source:  www.9and10news.com
Fortunately, the winds were fairly low today.


But don't you know we were thinking about that as we crossed the bridge!


And as I was looking over the side of the bridge!


Someone told us that they will close the bridge if the winds get too strong.  We were glad no "freak" gust of wind came across and hit us!


We arrived at Mackinaw Mill Creek Campground within just a few minutes of getting off the bridge. Ken and Bonnie had told us they had stayed at this campground a few years ago and they really liked it.  We were assigned site #698 which is a very long back-in site with a lot of privacy.


This campground is HUGE!  It has 600 campsites but unlike most big campgrounds, a lot of the sites are well spaced apart with privacy between them.

After getting set up, we got on our bikes and rode around the campground.  The campground runs along the lake shore of Lake Huron.


After riding through just about the entire campground, we had ridden over 5 miles!  I told you this place was big.




No comments:

Post a Comment