Friday, November 7, 2014

Back to Manasota Beach

We decided to return to Manasota Beach on Friday to get one more beach day in before we parted ways on Monday.  Of course, we had to get a couple of hours of pickleball in first.  The courts are more full the earlier you get there so we had the opportunity to play not only our foursome but with some other people too.  I can see how pickleball is a great way to meet new friends!  :)

As soon as we got back to our campers, we packed our lunches and then headed to Manasota Beach.  What a gorgeous day for the beach!


Ken, Bonnie and Chuck began shark tooth and shell hunting while I walked north on the beach a short distance.  There were a lot of shells washed up on this end of the beach.  The shells were so thick it almost hurt your feet to walk on them.


I turned around after about 1/2 mile and walked back because I was ready to eat some lunch and I thought Chuck probably would be too.  Did I mention what a beautiful day it was?  (Sorry, don't mean to rub it in.)  :)


After eating our lunch, I read a chapter in my book and then took a little snooze.


Chuck went back to hunting for shark's teeth with Ken and Bonnie,


and I took a short walk to the south on the beach.  I have so enjoyed taking pictures on the beach and decided to not only take pictures of the birds...


but also of the shells and to also experiment with the many features on my camera.  The sun was warm and the weather was beautiful.  (There I go again -- talking about the fantastic weather.)  :)


As I began experimenting with my camera, I discovered (or rather was reminded) of how positively, absolutely EVERYTHING is beautiful in God's creation -- from the greatest oceans to the tiniest shells.  And both in color...





...and in black and white.




And then I experimented with the "miniature effect" that makes small sand dunes look like huge sea cliffs.


I took a few more pictures of the seagulls.  Notice that some of them have black beaks and some have orange beaks.  (I also used the "poster effect" with this picture.)


Some of the seagulls were bedded down and taking a nap.


And I just realized when looking through the pictures that this little seagull had a tag on his leg (double-click the picture to zoom it up if you need to).


When I got back from my P.E.E. (Photographical Experimental Expedition), I found Chuck diligently looking and finding shark's teeth with his Florida snow shovel.


Chuck and Ken talked with this gentleman on the beach who knew all about finding shark's teeth and showed us pieces of fossilized teeth and bones from other fish in the sea.


The temperature was getting cooler and the sun was getting lower in the sky so we packed up our beach gear and our treasures and headed back home.  Later that evening, we got together for a round of Pinochle (which the guys won) and a round of SkipBo and Spades (both of which the girls won).

Chuck washed off all the treasures we had found.  Chuck is becoming quite the shark tooth hunter!


We both found a piece of seaglass this time and I found a broken piece of old china that had been tumbled smooth.


I'm going to have to do some research to find out how old it might be.  Part of the name of the manufacturer was on the back of the piece.


But the best treasure of all are the memories that we have created with our wonderful friends, Ken and Bonnie!



No comments:

Post a Comment