Sunday, August 5, 2012

Moving day: Lake Fairfax to Bull Run

On Sunday, we had to move from Lake Fairfax Campground to Bull Run Campground because Lake Fairfax was closing down to build a new bathhouse.  Check out time at Lake Fairfax was 11:00 am but check in time at Bull Run was not until 1:00 pm and it was only about a 30-40 minute drive between the two campgrounds (or so we thought…read on).

A park ranger came around about 10:45 making sure we (and everyone else) was packing up to get out of there.  We finished packing up and disconnecting the services and headed out of the campground. 

Because we had such a short drive, we decided we would drive separately (not tow the car). 

I had to rush to try to locate and get directions to Bull Run Campground in the GPS.  We had stayed at this campground in March of last year when Isabella was born but I wasn’t quite sure how to get there so I wanted to use the GPS.  Unfortunately, Bull Run Campground was not listed as a campground on the GPS so I had to look up the address on my smartphone and key it into the GPS before we headed out of the campground.  The address said 7700 Bull Run Road, Manassas, VA.  I keyed that address into the GPS and off we went.

When we got off at exit 53A on I-66, Chuck called me and said he thought we had gotten off at the wrong exit.  I told him that was what the GPS said to do so we kept driving on and continued driving through unfamiliar roads.  I thought maybe the GPS was taking us in some back way to Bull Run.  But when I saw the sign that said Bull Run Road in the middle of a subdivision, I realized we had a problem.

I pulled off but Chuck could not pull off at that point in the motorhome so he drove a little further down the road and found a place to pull off and waited for me to catch up to him.  I caught up to him and pulled off in front of him and looked up the address for the campground on my smartphone again.

Turns out we were supposed to go to 7700 Bull Run Drive in Centreville, VA.  Great!  I keyed in the Centreville address into the GPS and looked at the map as to how it was guiding us there to make sure it made sense and then we headed off again.

We finally arrived at the campground about 1 pm.  What should have been a 30-40 minute drive ended up being about a 2 hour drive.  And we basically drove all the way around the campground to get there.

We got checked in and drove to our site #116 where we encountered our next challenge:  how to get connected to the electric, water, and sewer and get the motorhome level.  Bull Run could be such a nice campground.  It has lots of woods and the sites are spaced out fairly well.  Unfortunately, whoever engineered their services has apparently never camped in an RV before.  Most of the serviced sites are unlevel.  And the services are so awkwardly placed that you have to run a lot of extensions to get connected to them.

After some maneuvering and putting the front driver’s side up on blocks, we finally got the RV positioned where it would be level and we could reach all the services.  Phew!!!

It’s funny how what you think should be a relatively easy move turns into a nearly all day ordeal.  Oh well!  That’s RVing!





No comments:

Post a Comment